Your questions about Replacement tanks and OFTEC - Telephone - 07970 491026

What is a Bunded Tank?

A bunded tank is quite simply a tank within a tank. The outer tank has the ability to hold 110% of the volume of the inner tank, so if the worst does happen and the tank is pierced or overfilled then the leaked product will all be contained in the outer tank.

What is a Single Skin or Non-Bunded Tank?

A single skin tank consists of a single rotationally moulded container, in which fuel is stored. Single Skin Tanks are suitable for most installations at single family dwellings in the United Kingdom - unless the installation is situated within an environmentally sensitive area. To determine whether or not the site can be described as environmentally sensitive, it is recommended that a Risk Assessment is undertaken prior to tank installation. In anticipation of possible future environmental legislation, consideration should be given to fitting a bunded tank - even where a single skin tank will currently suffice.

How close to a boundary can I place an oil storage tank?

If the tank is less than 3400 litres, it can be placed within 760mm of a boundary. This distance assumes that there are no flu outlets or buildings between the tank and the boundary. Where these clearances cannot be achieved, the protection measures noted in British Standard BS 5410 : Part 1 : 1997 must be provided by means of a 30 minutes fire-resistant wall which extends at least 300mm above and beyond the ends of the tank. For tanks with a capacity greater than 3400 litres, please contact OFTEC for advice.

How close to a building can I place an oil tank?

Tanks with a capacity not exceeding 3400 litres should not be fitted any closer than 1.8 metres to a building. Where these clearances cannot be achieved, the protection measures noted in BS 5410 : Part 1 : 1997 must be provided by means of a 30 minutes fire-resistant wall which extends at least 300mm above and beyond the ends of the tank. It will be necessary to protect exposed eaves forming part of a roof within 1.8 metres of the top of an oil storage tank to provide a 30 minute resistance to fire. Cladding should be applied to the eaves in order to prevent fire spreading to the roof. If the tank capacity is greater than 3400 litres, please contact OFTEC.

What is a Double Skinned Tank?

Double Skinned Tank is just that - a primary tank with another "skin" placed around it with a very small gap (interstitial space) between the two; none of the pipework or ancillary equipment is contained. The risk of oil being lost from ancillary equipment and pipework is high; the Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) Regulations 2001 recognises this fact and require that tanks have all ancillary equipment such as sight tubes, taps and valves retained within a secondary containment system.

Who are OFTEC?

OFTEC stands for 'Oil Firing Technical Association for the Petroleum Industry'. As the rules and regulations get evermore complicated, you should make sure that any business you deal with has membership of OFTEC. Oil tanks are now covered under building regulations and all approved OFTEC engineers have passed an exam to enable them to carry out installations in the correct manner. Click here to visit the OFTEC website.

Does my oil tank need to be empty?

No. We always carry a pump out tank on our vehicle. We use this to transfer your oil into while we remove your old tank and fit your new tank.

What do I do with my old rusty tank?

We always remove your old tank and make sure the area is tidy up before we leave.

Can my tank be moved to a new position?

YES. We usually find that some customers want their tank in a new position and also with the variety of sizes and styles available you could increase your oil capacity without losing any noticeable space in your garden.

What are the building regulations?

Both Oil Storage Regulations and Building Regulations apply to domestic storage. Oil Storage Regulations state that if you are storing below 3500 litres you are exempt. If you are considering storing more than 3500 litres any new installation must be bunded. For existing installations all commercial tanks must comply by sept 2005. All new domestic installations must comply now and agricultural tanks over 1500ltr must have been bunded since 1991. Building Regulations state that if you are installing a new tank or changing an old one, any tank with a capacity of more than 2500 litre's MUST be bunded. However, tanks with less than 2500 litre capacity must be bunded if the tank is:-

  • Within 10 metres of controlled water
  • Located where spillage could run into an open drain or to a loose manhole cover
  • Within 50 metres of a borehole or spring
  • Over hard ground or hard surfaced ground that could enable spillage run-off to reach controlled water
  • Located in a position where the vent pipe outlet is not visible from the fill point
  • Supplying heating oil to a building other than a single family dwelling

Why use an OFTEC technician?

We are individually trained; independently assessed every 5 years to maintain the high standard of work necessary to ensure a problem free installation of your tank and oil pipe. We can self certify an installation making the whole task easier and probably less expensive. Click here to visit the OFTEC website. Or Click here to visit the Environment Agency website for further information.

Can I install my own tank?

Yes but you may find if you make a mistake your home insurance will NOT Pay for any costs incurred. You also need to inform your local council and you will need all the work inspected by building control. Obviously this will incur a charge.

Diagram of a Bunded Tank?

Please see diagram below which shows Bunded Oil Tank.

Bunded Oil Tank

PLEASE NOTE - This site contains simplified guidance based on complex and changing legislation, and does not constitute legal advice. Whilst we endeavour to keep it up to date, we cannot be held liable for errors and omissions; compliance with the law remains the user's responsibility. If you have concerns over compliance, you must seek professional advice, or contact your regulator or local authority.

For a no obligation quotation please contact Jason below on
Telephone - 07970 491026 or Email - Jason.Penrice@adlerandallan.co.uk